- Sunset Garage (1929)
- Thompson Cafe (1941)
- Kelsko Meat Market (1920)
- Bellinger's Bakery (1928)
- Unity Lodge no. (1913)
- McGrath's Hotel (1926)
- North Bend Timber Co. Office (1924)
- North Bend Train Depot
- Bank of North Bend (1910)
- Keith Lord's Radio Shop (1929)
- Fred Weisendbach Barber Shop (1928)
- Glazier's Drygoods (1941)
- Lee Brother's Grocery Store (1941)
- North Bend Theatre (1941)
- McClellan Hotel (1918)
- Snoqualmie Valley Historical Museum
Get Itinerary >
Start your day at the intersection of North Bend Way and Bendigo Boulevard in downtown North Bend.
The building you’ll see on the western corner of the intersection was known as the Sunset Garage (1929). With the completion of the Sunset highway in 1915 over Snoqualmie Pass, North Bend became the motorist’s crucial last stop for food, gas, and lodging before crossing the Cascades. The Sunset Garage has originally built built as a mercantile store, but quickly converted to the garage to service cars traveling the highway.
Across the street you’ll see Twede’s Cafe. This building was built in 1941, by Roy Thompson.
It was originally built as Thompson’s Cafe (1941), it saw WW II, the Depression, and the boom of the timber industry. In the 1950’s, the business changed hands and became known as the Mar-T Cafe, continuing to be a regular stop for over the mountain pass travelers and locals. Then, in 1990, on a scouting trip to find a location for his new series, David Lynch discovered this cafe and the Snoqualmie Valley and decided to have it be the set for his new show. He then filmed the now famous TV series “Twin Peaks” immortalizing the cafe’s cherry pie and “Damn fine cup o’ coffee!”.
Check out our Twin Peaks Itinerary for more filming locations in the Valley.
Continue walking east to the next building. Originally built in 1920, the Kelsko Meat Market (1920) added frozen food lockers in the 1940’s when many homes still did not have freezers. Later this building became a local hangout called The Del, run by the Dorothy Scott family, selling hamburgers, soft drinks & ice cream.
Next door you’ll find what was once the Bellinger Bakery (1928), owned by Carl Bellinger. Remarkably it has remained a bakery and famous North Bend stop throughout the years. In 2014, Georgia’s Bakery was awarded a Landmarks Capital grant by 4Culture to restore the original facade of the 1928 building. The process involved the removal of an alpine facade, a facade that was installed by many North Bend businesses in the 1970’s to give downtown a Bavarian feel.
Two doors down you’ll find a large building. The upstairs is the Upper Valley Masonic Lodge – Unity Lodge #198 (1912), the ground floor level of this building originally held Gene Hill’s grocery store. Husband of Ada Hill, Snoqualmie Valley Historical Society founder.
Only a couple buildings remain from the Railroad Era, this being one of them.
Read the History of Unity Lodge #198 as prepared for its Centennial celebration.
Continue east to the next building that currently houses the Iron Duck. The McGrath’s Hotel (1926) building is significant for its associations with the history of highway and automotive transportation in Washington State and the development of tourism, recreation and commerce in rural King County.
It is a particularly prominent architectural design feature within the historic commercial center of North Bend, Washington and is an exceptional rural example of commercial architecture executed in the Spanish Colonial Revival stylistic design mode.
The construction of the new hotel in February of 1926 coincided with a period of increasing auto tourism along the Sunset Highway and was completed “in time for the early spring travelers.” After the hotel unofficially opened in mid-February, the McGraths held formal opening festivities on March 2,1926. These included a complimentary evening buffet lunch for the community and music provided by Miss Queen’s Orchestra, a live three-piece band.
Through a newspaper notice, the McGraths had cordially invited the community to attend the festivities. Some 200 guests accepted the hospitality, toured the hotel and danced on the cafe’s maple dance floor from 8:00 p.m. until midnight. Managed by Mr. and Mrs. McGrath, it was the largest and most modern hotel in North Bend and the vicinity. Read more about this building’s history and context in the National Register of Historic Places.
Continuing to head east, cross over Main Ave and head to the end of the block to the building that house the North Bend Bar and Grill. This building, originally a small log structure, housed the office for the North Bend Timber Co. Office (1924). The Company had been located further upstream from North Bend along the South Fork in a town called Edgewick. You can read the story about Edgewick and how it was swept away.
Once Edgewick was gone the company took a while to settle their lawsuits and figure out next steps. In 1923 they started logging in the Middle Fork and built this office in town as their administrative hub.
In 1944, the company was acquired by the St. Regis Pulp and Paper Co. The little log building was sold and converted to a restaurant and a large structure was built next to the log structure and the log structure was converted to a dance floor, storage, and restrooms. Some of the log walls and old stone fireplace were retained.
Take a right on Ballarat and head south to the North Bend Train Depot. The North Bend Depot is a copy of the original train station.
The North Bend area remained largely inaccessible to commerce until the arrival of the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad in 1889. Early settlers William and Mary Taylor platted the townsite – first called Snoqualmie, later Mountain View, and finally North Bend in February 1889. North Bend Way was laid out parallel to the railroad.
You can still enjoy train rides from North Bend to Snoqualmie throughout the year run by the Northwest Railway Museum.
Head back to North Bend Way and cross to the other side. Head west to the building that currently house Cook Real Estate Services. The original building hiding within is a small concrete Bank of North Bend (1913) built in 1910.
Earlier downtown photos show a predecessor wood frame bank building with a false front on the opposite side of First Avenue, one block further east. That was a private bank, first organized by Issaquah banker W.W. Sylvester in 1908. By 1911, the new concrete bank with its distinctive corner entrance had been erected across the street and appears on Sanborn Co. insurance maps of that year. Sylvester’s Bank was incorporated in 1913.
The concrete bank was purchased by C. Beadon Hall and his sister Isadore Hall in 1923. It became part of Beadon’s Washington State Bank system, including banks at Duvall, Tolt and Snoqualmie. The North Bend Post reported in October of that year that “This Bank is Being Built Up.” The bank was remodeled in 1929 with a heavy classical cornice, moldings above the corner entry and ornamental lanterns.
When the Sunset Highway (now North Bend Way) was widened through downtown North Bend in 1941, the bank received compensation for relinquishing land in the right-of-way, and a sizeable amount for jacking-up and moving the concrete building some thirty feet to the north. The bank corporation was sold to Seattle First National in the 1950’s and Beadon retired to his home in Snoqualmie.
Learn more and see historic photos at Cook Real Estate Services history section.
Head north to the building next door. This building originally housed Keith Lord’s Radio Shop (1929). In the 1940’s housed Don Tift’s barber shop and later Bellinger’s shoes.
Next door is the building the began as Fred Weisenbach Barber Shop (1928) when it was built it 1928. In the 1940’s it became a dress shop.
Continuing north you’ll arrive at a building that was owned and operated by Watt and Francis Glacier as Glazier’s Drygoods (1941).
Cross the alley for the next stop. This building, built in 1941 was operated as Lee Brother’s Grocery Store (1941).
On the corner where the parking lot and landscaping is located was the WWII Memorial for North Bend, listing the names of all North Bend folks in the Armed Forces during WWII.
Cross over Bendigo and head north to the North Bend Theatre (1941). Like many small towns, North Bend got it’s own theater in 1941. Over the years most towns have either torn down or converted their theaters to other uses, North Bend’s however continues to have a working and thriving family theater.
Below is a copy of an article that appeared on the front page of the Snoqualmie Valley Record published the day after the theater’s opening night on April 9, 1941,
New Theatre Opens at N.B.: Many Marvel at Beautiful Interior-Lavish Appointments-Excellent Sound
The opening of North Bend’s new theatre Wednesday evening proved a gala affair. Guests were welcomed in the lobby by Manager and Mrs. Jay Tew and the builder Emmet Jackson and Mrs. Jackson.
The attractive foyer was made more beautiful by the arrangement of many baskets of flowers sent by associates and friends. The event developed into an “open house” with everyone visiting the power room and crying room and commenting on the handsome decorations and modern appointments before taking their seats.
The theatre which has been built, conforms to the latest standards in construction under the supervision of Wm. Blaisdell and Herbert Johnson. The building is 40 by 100 ft. of reinforced concrete and is the “last word” in theatre buildings. W.E. Stoddard of Meadowbrook is responsible for carrying out the interior decorative scheme – yellow and dark red being the predominating colors. With 412 deluxe seats, upholstered in red plush, it will be a real pleasure to watch the pictures.
Indirect lighting from beautiful fixtures at the sides of the main body of the theatre, and one of the newest innovations – a silver screen, back of the main red plush curtain, proved a surprise to everyone. This silver curtain, glistens in either gold or silver depending upon the lighting.
The furniture in the lobby, of cream colored leather, harmonizes nicely with the rich dark red carpet, the whole effect of the building and appointments being stream-lined in the most modern manner. The latest of sound equipment and air conditioning system, will insure patrons the acme of comfort. In fact, one might go on indefinitely describing the beauties of the new theatre and then not do it justice.
A large and beautiful Neon sign, which can be seen for a long distance has been erected in front of the theatre.
Mr. and Mrs. Tew and Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are to be highly commended on the successful completion of so beautiful a building.
Head back south to the intersection and the building that currently housed Birches Habitat. This is the original McClellan Hotel (1918), which was split in 1941 and a portion moved down the block to become a tavern. The widening of North Bend way for US-10 (Precursor to I-90 was a major change in North Bend in the early 1940’s). North Bend bargained with the State of Washington to keep the main highway (The Sunset Highway) going through the town. The state had originally planned to bypass the town, but North Bend was able to get their way.
Continue heading south back towards where you are parked. Continue past the North Bend Visitor’s Center and cross West Park to get to the North Bend Historic Walking Tour.
The Snoqualmie Valley Historical Museum, serving Fall City, Preston, Snoqualmie, North Bend, Cedar Falls and Snoqualmie Pass for nearly 50 years. Exhibits include a rich collection of pioneer artifacts, Farming in the Snoqualmie Valley, and a rotating exhibit. The museum is a great resource for learning even more about the history of North Bend and surrounding area.April through October:
Saturdays through Tuesdays, 1:00 – 5:00 pmNovember through March:
Mondays and Tuesdays, 1:00 – 5:00 pmor by appointment
Si View Park holds historical significance for its direct association with a nationwide Depression-era economic recovery program that had significant impact on the physical development of King County. The Si View Field House is one of eight Work Projects Administration (WPA) era centers which were built for the King County park system in the 1930’s, and an excellent example of the park service rustic architectural style. Read more here.
North Bend Ranger Station also has historic significance. It is part of a national Register thematic group entitled “USDA Forest Service Administrative Buildings in the States of Oregon and Washington, built by the Civilian Conservation Corps.” In common with other buildings in the group, its Building 2230 typifies construction projects undertaken by the C.C.C. and signifies the aid to the local community provided by the work relief program. Building 2230 also exemplifies the rustic architectural style developed by the Pacific Northwest Region of the Forest Service to impart agency identity, and signifies the Service’s particular expression of this early twentieth century American style.
Tollgate Farm is one of, if not, the most historically significant places in North Bend. It was one of the areas that was part of the 1856 Indian War Forts. From 1884-1887 the farm was a toll stop when the first road from Seattle to Snoqualmie Pass was a toll road. The farm features stunning views of Mount Si, trails, and an old farmhouse built in the 1860s that was recently restored. Read more about Tollgate Farm Park’s history here.