The Bank of North Bend originally occupied this small concrete structure, currently occupied by Cook Real Estate Services.
Earlier downtown photos show a predecessor wood frame bank building with a false front on the opposite side of First Avenue, one block further east. Issaquah banker W. W. Sylvester first organized that private bank in 1908. By 1911, the new concrete bank with its distinctive corner entrance had been erected there and appears on Sanborn Company insurance maps of that year. Sylvester’s Bank was incorporated in 1913.
C. Beadon Hall and his sister Isadore Hall purchased the concrete bank in 1923. It became part of Beadon’s Washington State Bank system, including banks at Duvall, Tolt and Snoqualmie. The North Bend Post reported in October of that year that “This Bank is Being Built Up.” A 1929 remodel enhanced the bank’s appearance with a heavy classical cornice, moldings above the corner entry, and ornamental lanterns.
With the widening of the Sunset Highway (now North Bend Way) through downtown North Bend in 1941, the bank received compensation for relinquishing land in the right-of-way including a sizeable amount to jack-up and move the concrete building to its current location.
Seattle First National Bank purchased Beadon’s bank corporation in the 1950’s and he retired to his home in Snoqualmie.