The official creation of the Fall City Totem Garden in 2006 included installation of two commissioned interpretive signs (images below). One tells the history of the Fall City Totem Poles. Initially installed in 1934 and dedicated to Julia Harshman, deterioration required removal of the original pole in 1981. A second totem pole replaced it from 1982 to 2001. Beginning in 1997, an amazing community effort accomplished the restoration of the original totem pole and its return to the park in 2001.
A second sign in the Garden tells the legend of the pole, as communicated by the original carver, Hugh Hinds of Fall City.
The Totem Garden Park, faithfully maintained by local volunteers, demonstrates the ongoing community spirit in Fall City.