The McGrath Hotel Building is significant for its associations with the history of highway and automotive transportation in Washington State and the development of tourism, recreation and commerce in rural King County. With its prominent design features, it serves as an exceptional rural example of commercial architecture executed in the Spanish Colonial Revival stylistic design mode.
The construction of the new hotel in 1926 coincided with a period of increasing auto tourism along the Sunset Highway and was completed “in time for the early spring travelers.” After the hotel unofficially opened in mid-February, the McGraths held formal opening festivities on March 2, 1926. These included a complimentary evening buffet lunch for the community and music provided by Miss Queen’s Orchestra, a live three-piece band.
Through a newspaper notice, the McGraths had cordially invited the community to attend the festivities. Some 200 guests accepted the hospitality, toured the hotel and danced on the cafe’s maple dance floor from 8:00 p.m. until midnight.
Managed by Mr. and Mrs. McGrath, it was the largest and most modern hotel in North Bend and the vicinity. Read more about this building’s history and context in the National Register of Historic Places.