This large wood-frame commercial building, currently home to Carmichael’s Hardware and Variety store, was built in 1909 as Reinig Brothers General Merchandise, Otto Frank Reinig, Proprietor. It replaced a 1902 building on the same site destroyed in a 1908 fire that had originated across River Street in a hotel.
This building is the only remaining building in Snoqualmie significantly associated with Otto Reinig, a prominent Snoqualmie citizen in the early 1900s. Otto was the son of influential early Snoqualmie residents Leonard and Margarethe Reinig. He started in the grocery business in the early 1900s after spending five years in Dawson Alaska during the Klondike gold rush. Read more about the history here.